Soups do not have to be limited to winter. Daal soup can be enjoyed anytime of the year. It is so hearty and filling, that we really do not need anything else with it. But if you are one that has to have bread, rice or chapatis, go ahead and do just that! Watch this how to video to learn how to make Indian style daal soup.
Mung daal – 1 cup
Broth/stock (chicken or vegetable) – 4 cups
Onion – 1, medium (chopped)
Tomato – 1, medium (chopped)
Green Beans – ¼ cup (chopped)
Cauliflower – ½ cup (chopped)
Frozen Carrots & Peas – ½ cup
Ginger – 1 tsp (minced)
Garlic – 1 tsp (minced)
Green Chili – to taste
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Lime juice – to taste
Cilantro – for garnish (finely chopped)
Green Chili – for garnish (finely chopped)
Fried Onions – for garnish
1. Wash and drain the mung daal.
2. In a pressure cooker, add the following - mung daal, broth (3 cups), onions, carrots & peas, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, cauliflower, green beans, green chili and salt.
3. Mix well and let it whistle 2 times. Turn the stove off and let the pressure release by itself.
4. Once the pressure has gone, open and mix well.
5. In needed, transfer the daal to a bigger pot.
6. Add in the balance of the Stock.
7. Blend well using a hand blender or a blender.
8. Add lime/lemon Juice to taste.
9. For the seasoning, take a pan, add in the oil and heat.
10.Add in the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
11.Wash the Curry Leaves and place on the daal.
12.Pour the seasoning over the curry Leaves.
13.Mix well and allow it to come to another boil.
14. Pour into soup bowls and serve.
15. For this soup, garnishes are very important. So garnish with lemon/lime juice, cilantro, green chilis and/or fried onions.
16. Serves 4.
1. Use a variety of vegetables to get a different flavor every time.
2. If you do not have Stock available, use water or bullions.
3. For a full meal, we also se
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.