Maria shows us how to make this traditional Irish stew which is really good have during winter.
Olive oil – ¼ cup
Garlic – 3 cloves diced
Onions – 3 diced
Potatoes – 3 diced
Carrot – 3 diced
Worcestershire sauce – 2 tbsp
Beef stock – 2 cups
Dark beer – ¼ cup
Concentrated tomato paste – 2 tbsp
Salt & black pepper to season
Flour – 2 tbsp
Butter – 2tbsp
• Heat olive oil in a large pot and fry the beef till they are nice and brown.
• After the beef are fried and taken out. Put in the chopped garlic and then return the beef and all its juices in to the pot.
• Cook on low for some time and in the meantime preheat the oven to 360 degree.
• Then add the carrots and onions in to the pot and stir it in. Add Worcestershire sauce, beef stock, dark beer, bay leaf and tomato paste and stir it in. Then season it with salt and black pepper.
• You can add herbs like thyme which is optional. Then layer the top with the potatoes and don't mix it in as the potatoes need to be steamed only. Turn off the heat.
• Cover it and place it in the preheated oven for one and a half hours.
• To make the thickening sauce, melt butter in pan and add the flour and stir continuously till the sauce is thick (for one minute and 45 seconds).
• When the stew in the oven is done, take it out and pour a little of the stew juice in to the thickening sauce and mix it vigorously to make a thick gravy.
• Then add the sauce to the stew and give the stew a good stir. Place the pot again in the oven for ten minutes uncovered.
• There your yummy Irish stew is ready.
You can serve it with any type of bread or top it on noodles. Happy Cooking!